The 2017 Midway Chamber of Commerce Economic Development Summit
"Driving Growth in the Midway: People, Place, Partnerships and Prosperity"
Thank you to all who attended the 2017 Economic Development Summit! Below is a schedule from this past year's event. Look for information later this year on the 2018 Summit.
Schedule of the Day
7:30 – 8:00 a.m. – Registration & Light Refreshments
8:00 – 9:00 a.m. – Saint Paul Mayoral Forum
9:15-10:30 a.m. - Breakout Sessions (see below list)
10:45- 11:30 a.m. – ‘Anchor Institutions as an Economic Development Engine’ with HealthEast President/CEO Kathryn Correia
11:30 a.m.- 1:00 p.m.- Monthly Luncheon with David Reiling, CEO, Sunrise Banks
Breakout topics include:
- Access to Capital: crowd-funding, secondary market, selling shares. What are the resources and new tools to raise capital? How does a small business become bankable and get its finance sheet ready for financing?
- Working with the Media: Minnesota Lawyer editor Barb Jones: How do I pitch my story? How do I handle bad news about my company? What are tips for working with reporters if I want to be a source and develop a good relationship?
- Snelling/University: What’s on the periphery of the proposed soccer stadium? City Council President and Ward 4 representative Russ Stark and PED Director Jonathan Sage-Martinson will lead.
- Getting to Yes! Understand the processes for partnering with the city to operate and do business in the City of Saint Paul. Session Leaders: Travis Bistodeau and Dan Niziolek, deputy directors, Department of Safety & Inspections.
- 21st Century HR Challenges: Learn how to attract and keep millennial employees, provide opportunities for older workers, and train and engage “second chance” employees and other skilled workers.
- Dynamics of Public-Private Partnerships: Public/private partnerships can be tremendously valuable for community development. The public sector leverages funds, reduces risk for the private sector, and facilitates the development of infrastructure and environment necessary to attract private investment and positive development outcomes. Saint Paul Port Authority President Lee Krueger to present.
- Perceptions of the Midway: Past, Present and Future. When people think of the Midway, what do they think about? What's good, what's bad? John Harrington, chief of Metro Transit police, and Midway Chamber Board member Courtney Henry from McDonalds will lead the discussion.
- Tomorrow’s Workforce: Aligning the Business Community with Higher Education. How can these entities work together to prepare and retain our future workers? Mary Rothchild, Minnesota State University System and Tracy Wilson, Saint Paul College, present.
- Content Marketing and Thought Leadership: Finance & Commerce president and publisher Bill Gaier will address how to use content marketing to establish yourself as an expert in your field, a thought leader. He’ll cover how to use existing content and how to create and distribute new content via blogs, news sites and social media, as well as how content drives Google search research.
Wednesday, March 15, 2017
7:30 a.m.- 1 p.m.
University of St. Thomas- Anderson Student Center
2115 Summit Ave.
Saint Paul, MN 55105